In this historical conservation project, the old colonial building in Kota Tua needed several adjustments on its interior, purposed for exhibitions. The new requirements needed to be built without disrupting the historical narrative that this building had ever since it was built back in 1929, on both facade and structural supports.
The design consideration started off by giving distance between the existing walls and new design elements for an easier construction and maintenance of the existing body. The construction was also done with care, since there’s a limited amount of intervention that could be done to retain the building’s original form. This dialogue is an attempt to stitch back the memory of what colonial building was, presented by tectonic stone forms, with the new lighter, monochromatic, and industrial elements such as iron and aluminium frames.